How do residence meal plans work?
Once you choose a meal plan on the application portal, we preload that information onto your residence account, so once you arrive in residence, you can immediately use your student ID to access meals at the Fresh Food Company. This is why it is important for you to get your UM student card as soon as possible. If you don’t have your card on the day you arrive, a temporary meal card can be provided at the check-in desk or from the cashier at the Fresh Food Company.
The Fresh Food Company offers an all-you-care-to eat concept. This means that for each visit (card swipe) you are entitled to choose menu items from multiple stations and eat as much as you like. The number of meals in your chosen meal plan (10, 15 or unlimited) dictates how many times per week you can access the Fresh Food Company. In the case of the 10 or 15 meals per week plan, those visits are counted starting on a Sunday and ending on a Sunday. Keep in mind that each visit - regardless of whether you just have a snack or an entire meal - counts as one meal. Meal swipes can only be used by the meal plan holder.
Which Meal Plan is Right for Me?
Pembina Hall and Mary Speechly
Our 7-Day Unlimited Plan offers our best value per meal. For about $250 more per term, you can add a lot more flexibility to your dining experience over the 15 meal/week plan, never having to worry about running out of meal swipes each week. You can have full meals, small meals or even just a snack - first thing in the morning or late in the evening.
- 7-day Unlimited meal swipes at the Fresh Food Company per week
- $3,120 CAD per semester
- Tax free. The Unlimited Plan is non-transferable and may only be used by the Meal Plan Participant for the 2022-2023 school year.
- Mary Speechly Hall and Pembina Hall Residents may opt for the 7-day Unlimited Meal Plan as their mandatory meal plan choice.
15 MEALS A WEEK
A set number of meals swipes are available each week.
- 15 meal swipes at the Fresh Food Company per week
- $2,865 CAD per semester
- Tax free. The 15 Meals a Week Plan is non-transferable and may only be used by the Meal Plan Participant for the 2022-2023 school year.
- Mary Speechly Hall and Pembina Hall Residents may opt for the 15 Meals a Week Meal Plan as their mandatory meal plan choice.
10 MEALS A WEEK
A set number of meals swipes are available each week.
- 10 meal swipes at the Fresh Food Company per week
- $2,650 CAD per semester
- Tax free. The 10 Meals a Week Plan is non-transferable and may only be used by the Meal Plan Participant for the 2022-2023 school year.
- Mary Speechly Hall and Pembina Hall Residents may opt for the 10 Meals a Week Meal Plan as their mandatory meal plan choice.
Foodbucks that can be used at any Dining Services locations
- $1,890 FoodBucks per semester
- $1,890 CAD per semester
- Tax free. The FoodBucks Plan is non-transferable and may only be used by the Meal Plan Participant for the 2022-2023 school year.
- University College Residents may opt for the Foodbucks Plan as their mandatory meal plan choice.
A combination of meal swipes and FoodBucks
- 100 meal swipes at The Fresh Food Company per semester
- + $750 Foodbucks per semester
- $2,373 CAD per semester
- Tax free. The Flex Plan is non-transferable and may only be used by the Meal Plan Participant for the 2022-2023 school year.
- University College Residents may opt for the Flex Plan as their mandatory meal plan choice.
Arthur Mauro Residence
100 meal swipes per term.
- Available for the Arthur V. Mauro Residence only. 100 meal swipes at The Fresh Food Company per semester.
- $1,588 CAD per semester
- Not Tax Free. The 100 Meals Plan is non-transferable and may only be used by the Meal Plan Participant for the 2022-2023 school year.
What are Foodbucks?
Also known as Declining Balance, FoodBucks are included in some meal plans but can also be purchased separately if the plan does not include it. Customizable amounts are available for purchase. FoodBucks add-ons are discounted by 10% when added to a Pembina Hall and Mary Speechly meal plan when making your plan selection on the residence application portal. FoodBucks act as money on your student card and can be used at applicable Dining Services Locations on both campuses. They cannot be redeemed for cash. See our “Where to eat” section to see where FoodBucks are accepted.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Where is the Fresh Food Company located and what are the hours of operation?
The Fresh Food Company is the main residence dining hall and is located on the second floor of the Pembina Hall building. The entrance is located on the main floor right across form the Residence Life Office. Note: It is not located in Pembina Hall Residence.
Monday - Friday: 7:30 am - 10:00 pm
Saturday and Sunday: 11:00 am - 10:00 pm
Can I change my meal plan?
You may upgrade your meal plan at any time throughout the year with more meals per week or more FoodBucks. Downgrades to meal plans are permitted but only up until the meal plan change deadline date. This is normally 14 days after the contract start date. Note: discounted FoodBucks rates for Mary Speechly and Pembina Hall meal plans are only available up until the meal plan change deadline.
Does the Fresh Food Company offer meals for takeout?
The Fresh Food Company Dining Hall and its meal plans are intended for dine-in only. We strongly believe that an essential part of residence life is fostering community and making personal connections through the dining experience. Newly extended Fresh Food Company hours of operation should provide enough flexibility so that residents do not need to take meals to go.
Can anyone else use my meal plan?
Your meal plan is associated with you and the photo ID on your student card. Your ID card and meals can only be used by you. All Pembina Hall and Mary Speechly meal plans do include two guest passes (per term) for use during the academic year that can be used for family or friends visiting you in residence.
What if I have unused FoodBucks at the end of the year?
FoodBucks are non-refundable and cannot be transferred to a subsequent year, so buying less FoodBucks and adding more if you run out is recommended. FoodBucks are part of a tax-free meal plan and therefore cannot be used to purchase non-food items, e.g., gift cards, coffee mugs, etc. sold at retail dining locations. Unused FoodBucks do carry over from Fall Term to Winter Term.
I have a restrictive diet and am allergic to certain foods. Can I be excluded from the meal plan requirement?
The Dining Services management team and chefs are committed to providing you with a menu that works for you. If you have dietary restrictions, feel free to connect with any Dining Services or Residence Life staff member to explain your needs and someone will connect you with our chef to come up with a customized menu.
Is the Fresh Food Company open every day?
Meal plans at The Fresh Food Company begin on move-in weekend (first Saturday in September) and remains open 7 days a week. Reduced hours and food stations take effect during the Fall Term Reading Week, the Holiday Break, and Winter Term Reading Week. The last day for meal plans is generally the day after the last scheduled exam but this is subject to change. Please refer to the Student Residences Contract for more information.
What happens to my meal plan if I leave residence or the University altogether?
Refunds, administration fees and policies relating to withdrawing from residence can be found in section 1.8 of the Student Residences Contract.
Meal Plan Benefits
- Full and convenient access to breakfast, lunch, and dinner, as well as snacks, and various hot and cold beverages
- Healthy choices
- A menu that caters to diverse needs and preferences, such as halal, vegetarian, vegan, gluten free, and lactose alternatives
- Comfort food
- International cuisine
- Fresh, local and seasonal ingredients (whenever available)
- Accomplished executive chef backed by a talented culinary team
- Dedicated team of managers to field your questions and address your concerns
- For resident meal plan holders, exclusive events that include theme nights, local food days, as well as health, wellness and sustainability activities
- Real-time feedback platforms to solicit your questions and comments about menu options and service satisfaction
- Accommodation for special diets and to address allergies and other dietary restrictions
Our Meal PlansAll Products
Need help with your meal plan?